Monday, November 30, 2015

So I have this friend....

People change, I guess as cliche as that sounds.  People evolve and people move forward.  I feel that has happened to me over the past year.  I have outgrown some of the people in my circle of friends.  Some by choice and others by force.  There is one friend I can recall right now that I thought things would be different, but they aren't.  Lets call her Sally.

Sally and I were roommates our freshman year in college.  We took on the world by storm and became a good team.  We had our ups and downs that year with our other room mates making living in a dorm difficult, but we powered through it.  After our freshman year,  we both parted ways from the dorm and lived in different places.   But we stayed in touch and had dinners and hung out when we could.  I could honestly say that it was better to live separate because it was always such a treat to see Sally and to hang out.  Our senior year of college, Sally failed a class and had to begin summer school. I on the other hand, landed my first career job and moved back home to save money.  We still hung out around the campus and in her apartment, but it never felt the same.  There was this wall that was there that I think the both of us didn't know how to approach.  Sally was attempting to be grown up.  She always talked about herself being so independent, however, her parents still covered a lot of her rent and bills.  By the end of the summer, my then boyfriend and I purchased a house together. I could tell she was jealous.  I could tell she envied the fact I had a house that was mine. None the less, she always came over to hang out.  A year later, I became engaged.  Sally acted happy for me, but deep down I knew she didn't like it.  She never planned on getting married and made sure everyone knew that.  However, I kept my head up and planned a fantastic wedding that of course she was a part of.  A few months before the wedding though, a family member passed away that changed her forever.  She began to demand things as a friend from myself and another girl.  Things that you don't ask friends to do...EVER.  She began to be so emotionally distraught, to the point where you would be worried if she would be alright at home.  Sally also began to talk about changing the world in ways that no single person could change them.  I think she was looking for a new control in her life to fill that void she lost with the death of her family member.  After my wedding though, things became worse.  She pushed not only me, but all of her other friends out.  Sally became a person that no one felt they could trust or have in their life.

Sally and I are currently in a weird place.  We talk occasionally, but it isn't the same. I think she and I both realize we have outgrown each other.  Life isn't a game to me any more like it is to her.  I have people who depend on me.  The worst problem of her day is whether or not her parents have sent her money in the mail yet.  I think Sally wants to grow up, but can't take that leap of faith to trust herself to do good in the world as an independent woman.  All I can do is hope she realizes it sooner rather than later.  After all, I will always be her friend, whether she likes it or not.  

No comments:

Post a Comment